Blood facilitates the transportation of oxygen and essential nutrients to the cells in our body and the normal functioning of vital organs. Blood circulation plays a crucial role in keeping us healthy.
The quality of our diet has a major impact on the blood circulation. A healthy diet can prevent blocked arteries, reducing the chances of heart disease or stroke.
Several foods significantly affect the body’s blood flow and circulation by dilating blood vessels, reducing inflammation, and decreasing plaque build-up in the arteries.
Here are six foods that can improve your blood circulation and prevent diseases.
1. Beetroots: They are rich in nitrates, converted into nitric oxide in the body. Nitric oxide relaxes and dilates blood vessels, leading to improved circulation. Like pomegranates, beetroots can relax your blood vessels, improving blood flow. This effect can also lower blood pressure, which benefits heart health.
2. Leafy greens: These vegetables, like spinach and kale, are excellent sources of nitrates. These compounds help widen blood vessels, leading to improved circulation. Vegetables like spinach are packed with nitrates, much like beetroot. The body’s conversion of these nitrates into nitric oxide aids in expanding the blood vessels, thus improving circulation. Moreover, they’re a good source of dietary fibre that may help maintain a healthy weight and lower the risk of heart disease.
3. Pomegranates: These fruits are particularly high in polyphenol antioxidants and nitrates, which are potent vasodilators. Pomegranates are loaded with antioxidants that help to maintain healthy blood circulation. Nitric oxide is crucial as it helps the blood vessels to expand and relax, improving blood flow. Consuming pomegranate in any form may improve blood flow. These fruits effectively improve muscle tissue oxygenation, which could especially aid individuals regularly exercising.
4. Cinnamon: It is rich in antioxidants, which can help protect against oxidative stress and damage to blood vessels. Healthy blood vessels are essential for optimal circulation. Cinnamon is not only a popular spice but important for better circulatory health. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of cinnamon help to reduce blood pressure and inflammation. Cinnamon has also been linked to reducing total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and triglyceride levels, while increasing HDL or Good cholesterol.
5. Garlic: Garlic contain sulphur compounds, which include allicin — that promote blood vessel dilation and enhance blood flow. Garlic also has blood-thinning properties, which can help prevent clots and plaque formation that restrict blood flow.
6. Onions: Onions are a great source of flavonoid antioxidants, which benefit heart health and circulation by helping your arteries and veins widen when blood flow increases. Both onions and garlic are known for their heart health benefits. The flavonoid antioxidants present in onions, act as a natural blood thinner and prevent blood platelet aggregation, thereby facilitating smooth blood flow.
Including these six foods in your diet can help improve the blood flow, thereby aiding in good circulation of nutrients and oxygen throughout the body and reducing your risk of heart disease.